Monday, August 29, 2005

Japan Tent (July 29th, 2005 - August 5, 2005)

Sorry for the lack of updates the past two months. During August I was backpacking in Taiwan and Korea and for all of September I was without personal internet access to my laptop. So please bear with me as I slowly update everyone on my activity the past two months.

So school in Tottori finished in late July, in August I began my full month of travelling.

Well lets start off with the Japan Tent conference. Every year during the summer in the Ishikawa prefecture a conference is held for international students from all over Japan called "Japan Tent". As described on the website, the conference "is a gathering of foreign students from all over the world under "a friendship tent" where heart to heart exchange can take place overcoming nationality and language barriers". So this year, from July 29th to August 5th, Anastoria (from Jamaica), Kin (from Myanmar), and myself represented Tottori University to take part in the conference. Well we also acted as ambassadors for our countries.




Lemme just say that this was THE best experience I've had in Japan. There were 350 international students from 80 different countries. Isnt that amazing? So basically how the conference works is we get to experience Japanese culture by travelling to different areas of Ishikawa prefecture and staying with two different host families. This year the theme of the conference was "The Spirit of Artisans". So we got to experience a lot and see a lot of Japanese arts, crafts, and professionals.

On the first day. we arrived at the Bunka Hall (some sort of convention centre) in the city of Kanazawa (the capital city of Ishikawa prefecture). We were put into groups according to our delegate numbers. I had one of the most amazing groups ever. Everyone was super nice. Anastoria, Kin and I were glad that we were not placed in the same group as one another. Itll give us a chance to meet new people. I enjoy conferences like this cause it forces everybody to get to know one another. All the delegates ranged from first year undergraduates (approx 19 yrs old) to PhD students (in their 30's). It was very interesting cause there were many different native languages in the room ranging from English to French, to Mandarin, to Cantonese, to German, to Japanese, etc... So in order to communicate with each other, we were forced to use Japanese.





Opening Ceremonies

The opening ceremonies were interesting... like typical Japanese style, they over-exagerate everything. For example, when the master of ceremonies came on stage, they played optimistic ceremonial music. It was just too funny. Then it was followed by three speakers who spoke in really fast and fluent Japanese. Approx only a third of delegates were really fluent in Japanese, so most of us fell asleep.. hahahaha... a nice way to start off a conference. Anyways afterward we all headed to a hotel banquet hall were we had a big welcoming buffet with Japanese performances. There I met tons of people, but get this... there were only 3 Canadian delegates including me... THREE ONLY!!!! But there were 19 from Myanmar (Burma). I found that quite odd. Anyhoo. I got to meet the three Canadians. One of them, Liz, a Taiwanese Canadian, happens to have studied at Waterloo in years past. and Atikune, a Nigerian Canadian studied at UofT. The three of us agreed that the multicultralism here resembled Canada and that its nothing new for us. I also met tons of other people there from many different countries. It was the perfect environment for mingling: 350 people who dont know each other, 80 different cultures, and alcohol. hahahaha.



<
Welcoming dinner reception



A bunch of us posing after the dinner



Canmy from Hong Kong (the only other Cantonese Chinese speaker I met at the conference)



Sebastian from Tanzania



Nick from the USA

Afterwards everyone was split up into different hotels according to our colour groups. A group of us all decided to go out and have some fun so we went to this dude named Peter from Finland was holding in another hotel that was hosting Japan Tent delegates. We all drank, ate, and partied the night. Twas fun.



A bunch of us at the hotel party after the first night

On the second day my group headed off to some really really nice traditional japanese house somewhere in the city. The group consisted of a lot of people that I hung out with the night before and got to know very well. So it was fun. Everybody was super nice. At the traditional Japanese house we watched a professsional chef make little figurines out of vegetables (in accordance to the Artisan theme). And also demonstrated how to display food in a very artsy way. Very neat and very much facinating. However, I'm the type of guy who appreciates good taste over good presentation. So if someone were to cook for me, as long as its yummy, you dont have to make flowers out of radishes or put it on a nice dish or anything like that. hahahaha. Anyways after that we lunch at the traditional house we went to do the tradition Japanese tea ceremony. I remember doing this before back in grade 5 during a field trip to the Canadian Japanese Cultural Centre. It was quite interesting. Too formal if you ask me. I just want to drink the tea. hahahhhaa.. The Japanese and their formalities sometimes drive me nuts.




At the traditional house in Kanazawa










Professional chef demonstrating how to make food into art







Lunch at the traditional house








The traditional Japanese tea ceremony

After that we were going to meet our first host familes. Our group was going to be split into two. Half of us will be heading to the northern city of Wajima, and the other half to the most northern city of Noto. I was placed in the Noto group. The bus ride took about 2 hours and we finally arrived in Noto city hall. There we were to one by one introduce ourselves and then get placed with each families. Everybody else in my group was put into pairs except for me. I was placed in a host family all by myself. Which is a good and bad thing. Ill explain later. My host father and mother was named Sadatoshi and Teiko Gyoda. They were a retired couple 74 and 76 years old respectively. That night they drove me home to their gigantic house in rural house. They told me to go take a shower and afterward have dinner. They were THE nicest couple ever. Like a grandfather and grandmother. But I called them mom and dad as they were very young at heart. They fed me sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much food. I was sooo sooo full to a point where I felt like my stomach was going to explode. It was a long day and I was very tired but I was too too full to go to bed. And my host parents wanted to chat and drink with me. So they were telling me their life story and I was telling them mine and we just kept drinking and drinking. My host dad was especially happy cause he told me that hes never had a son before in his life and his dream was to be able to drink with one, but instead he ended up having two daughters. I was chatting with him for a long time and then he told me he was a high-ranking Engineering company executive before retirement. I was super impressed. The host mother was an extremely kind lady. She reminded me of my grandmother. So I ended up becoming very close to both of them. We had amazing conversation. Very close and personal. They both are very talented individuals as well. My host dad, on top of being an engineer, is a poet, a painter, and a caligrapher. My host mom does art made out of sewing, shes also a poet, and is one hell of a cook. Both of them are the most active late 70 year olds I have ever met in my life. They are both very very young at heart. I think Japan Tent paired me up with the best host family. Before I went to bed, my host father offered to give me a cup of coffee.. And being the biggest coffee addict that I am, I of course accepted. But he added a whole of whiskey in my coffee. Thats a combination that I havent tried before. I ended up not sleeping alllllll night. Alcohol + caffeine is not a good mixture.



My host family's house in Noto



My host parents: Sadatoshi and Teiko Gyoda

So I woke up with the biggest stomach butterflies ever. And I was super duper sleepy and super duper full from last nights dinner. And to add to it all, my host mom decided to make a HUUUUUGGGEEEE breakfast. And to be polite I treid to eat as much as possible. And she served me milk. I get gassy from milk. So my tummy after the breakfast was worse than it was last night. Nauseous and sleepy, just as bad a combination as coffee and whisky. So today my host mom and dad took me sight seeing around the Noto area. My host mother is one of the most craziest drivers Ive ever experienced. Being nauseous and sleepy, the crazy driving didnt help my situation at all. So they ended up driving me around the entire tip of Ishikawa prefecture (Noto area). They took me to an art teachers house, gold leafing design, museums, historical sites, temples etc.. etc... that were in line with the theme of the conference. I really enjoyed myself. But I would have enjoyed it more if I wasnt sleepy and nauseous. They were both super kind. That night I ended up having the most amazing conversation with the host mother. My host dad enjoys She reminded me sooooo much of my grandmother who past away three years ago, I almost bursted into tears. Then I found out that this was both of their second marriages. Both of their previous spouses died at a young age. They met each other at a poetry writing class and got married in 2000. It was the most romantic storey ever. It just comes to show that its never too old to find love. And she told me that she suffered from breast cancer a few years ago. But overcame it with being active and positive thinking. Both of them, who are in their late 70s, are both super young at heart and are more active than a lot of people I know who are in their 40s and 50s... Its quite amazing.



My host mom, the crazy driver



My host mom and I with my host dads art teacher


Host mom and dad


At a museum (lifting a structure used during festivals in Ishikawa prefecture)


At a museum


At a museum (in festival costume)


At the most northern point of Ishikawa prefecture


At the most northern point of Ishikawa prefecture (sign pointing to Shanghai, North Korea, and Vladvistock, Russia)


Beautiful hills of Noto


Salt mining field


Historical house in Noto


Temple in Noto


With Host parents at a rotating sushi bar

The next day, the Japan Tent delegates and their host familes were to all get together to do activities. So what we did that day was we went to make clay jewelery. I made a little cell phone hanger. Then we went to make takos (Japanese kites) and followed by a planetarium. It was very fun getting to spend time with fellow Japan Tent delegates and my host mom and dad. This was to be our last night with the host family, so we had this HUUUUGEEE farewell dinner at this banquet hall. All the important people were there, the mayor of Noto, the premier of Ishikawa prefecture. It was quite the spectacle indeed. Then we proceeded on home and we had another drinking session with my host mom and dad. It was more emotional cause it was the last night and we exchanged gifts. They gave me a Japanese poetry book which had one of my hostfathers haikus published in it.



Me and my host parents with Alfredo (from Honduras) and Mai (from Thailand), and their host mom



Me and my cell phone keychain



My Japan tent group at a museum in Noto



My host parents and I holding up our kites


Everyone flying our kites


My Japan Tent group at the farewell dinner with our gifts

The next morning, all the Japan tent delegates said goodbye to our host families. My host mom was crying and I have both of them a big hug. They were really hospitable and extremely kind. i couldnt have asked for a better host family. So the 8 or so of us left Noto and we met up with the rest of the group who went to Wajima. We sat on a bus for about 2 hours chatting with each other and reflecting with each other on our host family experiences. As soon as we arrived in Kanazwa we were let off the bus we entered this big convention centre with all the delegates there. It ends up that we were here to meet our next host family. I was hoping that I would have some time to chill and socialize with fellow delegates but no... my new host mom shows up super early.
This time my host family lived in the city of Kanazawa. They were the Kinoshita family. The host parents were in their early 40s with sons at 14 and 16 years old (Hisayuki and Fumiya). The host mom and dad were both elementary school teachers and their 14 year old son was a middle school student and 16 year old son a high school student. And yet again... I was on my own with this host family. Some host families had three Japan Tent delegates but I was the only one. This host family was quite different from my last one. They were busy. Having two teenage sons, they were constantly driving them everywhere to play basketball, tutoring, school, etc.. etc... So they had very little time for me. But they did the best they could. For the next few days they took me to the Kanazawa Contemporary Art Gallery (which happened to have the Human Body exibit thats always in the news), a ninja temple (a temple with tons of secret passageways, hidden staircases, and other coolness), they taught me origami, more temples, Kenroku Garden (the famous garden in Kanazawa) and an ancient street. They were really nice to me nevertheless and also very hospitable. The funny thing was that their two sons were really picky eaters so when I told her that I basically eat everything the host mom was really surprised. Whatever food is put in front of me, I eat it. Especially yummy Japanese food. Since I wont be here forever, I might as well take advantage of the delicacies of home cooked Japanese food.



My Japan Tent group on the bus leaving Noto



My second host family, the Kinoshita family, (left to right) host mom, Hisayuki (younger host brother, 14 yrs), myself, Fumiya (older host brother, 16 yrs), and my host dad


The Kinoshita house in Kanazawa city


My room at the Kinoshita house


Me on the a traditional Japanese street in Kanazawa city


Me on a student run rickshaw service


Me on a student run rickshaw service


Me with students from the rickshaw club at some university


Me on the traditional street in Kanazawa


Me at a geisha house


The front of the Ninja temple


Kenroku Garden

In terms of Japan Tent events, I was placed in a group that went to a brewery and we had a chance to taste tons of different types of sake (Japanese liquor). Andrew (from Australia) and Derry from Ireland , kept drinking and trying different kinds to a point where we were all tipsy. hahahaha. It was quite funny actually. I also met a ton of new delegates there. The alcohol was a great excuse to socialize with other people. I felt like a professional sake taster. hahahaah



At a major alocohol/beer brewery


At a major alocohol/beer brewery



Sake tasting with Japan Tent delegates


Sake tasting with Japan Tent delegates: (back) Christine (from Australia), Andrew (From Australia), myself, (front): Derry (from Ireland), and Jana (from Czech Republic)


Sake tasting with Japan Tent delegates: Andrew (From Australia), myself, Christine (from Australia)

On the second last day, we headed back to the Kanzawa bunka to listen to more speakers. This time there was a panel of a professor, a professional fashion designer, and a famous chef. Then followed by a panel of delegates, who were fluent in Japanese, to go on stage and reflect on their Japan Tent experience. But in the end it was basically a major snoozer fest for those of us not fluent in Japanese.



Panel of Japan Tent delegates

Later that evening, Japan Tent held a giant farewell party in front of Kanazawa castle. Everyone, including host familiies, were given coupons and we were allowed to try foods from many different nations. There were performances on stage and it was just a big exciting event. I was running around all over the places taking pictures with people and getting their contacts. And spending time with my host family. So it was very hectic... hahaha. Near the end there was this big huge dance and everybody was carrying their home country's flags. I was proud to be Canadian. It was one of the best nights and an amazing way to end this amazing conference.



Japan Tent delegates walking to the farewell party


Rachel (from France) and I at the farewell party


Japan Tent delegates waiting for farewell party to start


Kin (from Myanmar and Tottori University) and I at the farewell party


Amelia (from New Zealand) and I at the farewell party


Zoe (from Tasmania)(centre) and I at the farewell party


Aimee (from the USA) and I at the farewell party


Vera (from Albania) and I at the farewell party


Myself, Mai (from Thailand), and Jana (from Czech Republic) and I at the farewell party


Liz (from Canada) and I at the farewell party


Ronit (from Fiji) and I at the farewell party


Catherine (from Switzerland), Yl(from Cambodia) and I at the farewell party


Atikune (from Canada) and I at the farewell party



Sebastian (from Tanzania ) and I at the farewell party


Me waving the Canadian flag at the farewell party


Anastoria waving the Jamaican flag at the farewell party


Tazkia (from Indonesia) and I at the farewell party


Christine (from Australia) and I at the farewell party

So the next day was the final day of Japan Tent. My host family early in the morning took me to do some arts and crafts. We all went to some gold leafing place and made chopsticks look all nice and... gold... for a lack of better words. It was very interesting. Gold leafing is a specialty in Ishikawa prefecture. Then afterwards they took me to a nice soba restaurant where I got to watch the chef make soba. The meal was super yummy and delicious. Afterwards we headed off with my luggage to our final desintation at Kanazwa station. There everyone gathered in this really humid area of the station and they gave a farewelll speech and everybody was giving each other hugs, exchanging contacts, signing t-shirts, taking pictures, etc.. and I also said goodbye to my host family. This amazing week all slowly came to an end.




My house family and I doing some gold leafing


At a soba(a type of Japanese noodles)-making restaurant


Me at the goodbye ceremony at Kanazawa station with my luggage


Japan Tent delegates at the goodbye ceremony at Kanazawa station


Jonatan (from Mexico) and I at the goodbye ceremony at Kanazawa station


Amelia (from New Zealand), Jonatan (from Mexico) and I at the goodbye ceremony at Kanazawa station


A few Japan Tent delegates and I at the goodbye ceremony at Kanazawa station


Host family at the goodbye reception at Kanazawa station

I still had some time before my train back to Tottori was arriving. Almost everybody left but some people were still standing around so myself and Amelia (from New Zealand) went for a drink. We lost track of time and almost missed our train. On the train ride back, Anastoria and I were chatting and chatting and reflected on our amazing experience. It made the ride back much much faster.

Overall this conference was amazing. I could never imagine big conferences like this happening in Canada, even though its so multicultural. I guess you need the upbeat and over-exaggerated happiness of Japanese people to hold something like this. It was the MOST well organized event that I have ever been to in my entire life. New friends, new connections and a new optimism for my travelling ahead of me. Wow what a week it was!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home