Thursday, April 28, 2005

More material things...

So I have formatted the settings of the journal as requested by many people. Sorry for the inconveience. Hopefully now the blog wont take FOREVER to load as it only displays 7 postings per page. However, if you wish to see previous blogs, you will have to click on them individually from the right hand side panel titled "Previous Posts"

So this week I finally got a cell phone and only because I have no other access to a phone. I couldn't care less about material things like this. Heres my theory on cell phones "If I can make calls and receives calls, it's good enough". I dont need those 'extra' features like a camera, MP3 player, internet, etc.... They get outdated so quickly there's no point in buying expensive ones. In japan there are three cell phone providers (listed in order of 'relative' cost)
  1. Do Co Mo (most pricey)
  2. Vodaphone (formerly J-phone)
  3. AU (cheapest)
I ended up going to AU: for two reason, the prices are reasonable (good for students) and because I AU gives out relatively older models of cell phones for free. FREE is the key word. So i got a Sony Ericsson A1404S for free. Supposedly its the oldest model they have here in Japan.


Sony Ericsson A1404S


Some of you may be familiar with my cell phone back in Canada: the really old Nokia 3310. It was simple, it makes calls and it receives calls. Thats all I need. I have had the same cell phone since I was in Grade 11 (since 1999) and I dont intend on changing it. Now this Sony phone is way out of my league. So much features and useless crap. And on top of everything, the interface is in japanese so it makes it "that" much more confusing for me.



Japanese keypad

Which brings me to the topic of materialism. I found that the people I grew up with, including myself, were brought up in a bubble, and coddled. We were so isolated from the 'real world' being brought by the materialistic worlds that are "Markham and Richmond Hill". I estimate that AT LEAST 70% of people in my high school didnt understand the true value of money. There are those out there that still take immense pride and like to show off material things like high tech cell phones and cars purchased by their parent's money. Not until I moved out on my own to Waterloo for almost 3 years that I realized how 'pampered' we were back in Richmond Hill. This past week in Japan, I found out that the bank drafts werent going to be issued until May 10th or so. So basically what that means is that I'm going to have survive with the $30 of money I have left for the next two weeks. I have never been in a budget crunch before in my life (the damn Canadian debit cards didnt work at the ATM machines). I decided to not take this experience as a hardship, but as an 'eye-opener' and a valuable life-lesson. You learn A LOT about yourself when you move out on your own, more so in foreign country where very few people speak your language. I think the next goal in life, after graduation, is to become financially independent from my parents. It is very very important for me to be able to earn and spend MY OWN money. I especially look forward in giving back to my parents and family after everything they have done for me while growing up. I appreciate it as I wouldnt be able to achieve as much I have without their emotional and financial support.
This is one HUGE reason why I have become active in Engineers without Borders. There people that I know that wouldnt survive a day in places like Africa because it lacks material things like cell phones, cars, technology, and basic infrastructure we . I would really like to do an internship in a developing country sometime in the near future(considering Costa Rica fell through). It will defientely help me grow as an individual and help me pursue my career in the field of 'human development'.

PS SARAH: I havent been able to find decent coffee here in Japan yet!!!!!!!! I dont know how Im functioning.

(shout outs to Rej... for eating a large chocolate pie, a cheddar melt, and a gigantic milkshake. and for holding her poo)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home