Monday, September 19, 2005

Exploring Yokohama

Since I actually live in Yokohama, I decided to explore it first before Tokyo. The day after the Radwimps concert, Tsuji took me to the area around Yokohama station. The Yokohama area is absolutely GORGEOUS. Yokohama has one of the largest ports in Japan, so it has a stunning harbour front. So Tsuji and I went up the Yokohama Landmark Tower (a skyscraper). It has the fastest elevator in Japan (750 m/min) with an amazing 360 degree view of the city from up top. On a good day you can even see Fuji mountain from afar. Of course its not as tall as the CN Tower, but the Japanese landscape is much nicer to look at.
Yokohama Landmark Tower
View of Yokohama city from The Yokohama Landmark Tower (taken with my horrible cellphone camera)


Yokohama station shopping centre

So a week later, I decided to go explore Yokohama on my own. I really didnt know what to do so I just randomly explored. Then I found the Motomachi shopping street. It was quite amazing. A ton of name brand stores. And of course my fav, the Gap and the Japanese version of the Gap, UNI-QLO. But I didnt spend too much time shopping. I had two goals, buy new running shoes and replace my earring that finally broke after so much travelling. Afterward, I stumbled onto Yamashita Park. It had an absolutely breathtaking and romanting boardwalk along the Yokohama port waterfront. The buildings had a European taste to them so it gave this part of town a bit of a flare. Considering it is a historical port city, Im not surprised at its European influence. At the end of this breath taking walk takes you to Yokohama Chinatown, the biggest Chinatown in Japan. All my Japanese collegues tell me how Chinatown is sooo cool. I went and I was like meh... whatever... basically it was filled with overpriced food and stuff I can get back at home in Toronto or Taiwan for like a tenth of the price. For example a small dish of noodles costs 1200 yen ($12 US). I can get the same thing in Toronto for $5 Canadian. So I spent like a total of 10 minutes in Chinatown. hahahaha.

Yokohama Chinatown
Motomachi shopping street
Harbour front Yokohama



Red Brick Warehouses now transformed into cool little shops and cafes
Chinatown after dark
Overall Yokohama is a stunning city. Has a lot of character. If I were to move to Japan, I would defintely live here in Yokohama. There arent much more interesting areas of Yokohama other than here, so basically I'm done exploring Yokohama. But I will defintely come back to enjoy the relaxing atmosphere.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home