Friday, May 06, 2005

GOLDEN WEEK IN HIROSHIMA (The infamous Atomic Bomb city)

So before I start talking about the amazing week I had in Hiroshima for the Japanense "Golden Week" I would like to mention something more serious. Yesterday night I got a call from my parents telling me that my grandfather passed away in Toronto. What hurts me the most is the fact that I cant be there for his funeral. His youngest grandson is half way across the world unable to pay his last respects. My grandfather was a quiet man, and according to my mother he lived a life of hard work. And just like that his life ended. He was an extremely healthy man, didnt smoke, slept really early, and was very calm. He would have been 92 later this year. It got me thinking about life. The average person lives to be about 85 years old. After those 85 years of riding the crazy (at times dramatic) ollercoaster called life, everything just comes to an end and you become nothing but a distant memory in the minds and hearts of your family and friends. It also has made me realize the importance of living life to its fullest. Pursue a sustainable career and lifestyle that makes you happy, and not ones that are pursued for the sake of making society happy. Well anyways, theres my little thought about life I had last night...

Anyhoo lets start talking about something more happy.

It just hit me today that I've officially been here a month. Its crazy. Time flies by so quickly. Anyways lets talk Hiroshima shall we.


DAY ONE: Friday, April 29, 2005

So Ana and I get up extremely early to go to the Tottori bus station to catch the 10:00 en route to Hiroshima. The bus ride was 4 hours long. It didnt seem as long as it sounds considering it gave us a chance to sleep. The "greyhound" type buses here in Japan are much more spacious and nice compared to the ones in Canada. They're like business class (vs. coach) bus seats.
The weather is scortching hot (around 30 degrees celcius) and by the time we got off the bus, we were sweating like pigs. As we walked to our hotel through the busy streets, it felt refreshing and defintely a change from the dead streets in Tottori. I really missed the city. We arrived at our tiny little hotel room and we dropped our stuff off and settled down. we then left to go wander the outdoor/covered shopping strip called the 'Hondori' and the gorgeous riverside of the Hiroshima Memorial Peace Park. Right next to the edge of the water stands the "A-dome" (Atomic bomb dome), which is the only historic building left after the Americans dropped the atomic bomb in Hiroshima in 1945. It has been kept in the exact condition as it was back in 1945. Just looking at it poured in a bunch of emotions. Then it hit me that I'm standing in one of the most historic cities in the 20th century. A distaster 100x more serious than 9/11 occured little over 50 years ago where I was standing.


In front of river and Atomic bomb dome


The A-dome (only building left standing after atomic bombing)


Baseball is extremely famous here in Japan. 10x more so than in America and Canada. Billboards for Ichiro, a Japanese currently playing for the Seattle Mariners, are alll over the place. He's considered a national hero here. So we decided to Hiroshima Shimin Baseball Stadium, which was right next to the A-dome, and watch a game between the Hiroshima Carps and the Yomiuri Giants (the Tokyo based team). Lemme tell you... the atmosphere was craaazy. It's like being in the audience during a leaf game, but escalate that to like 5x the craziness. We were sitting in the seats behind the outfield. And just our luck, the star player, Kyohara (no. 5), from the Giants hit his historic 500th home run right into our area. We had a blaaaaast. And during the game we met a bunch of Mexicans that gave us free beer. )In Japan, you can drink and smoke anywhere you want, unlike in Canada. There are cigarette and beer vending machines on the streets... thats how accessible smokes and booze is). Its so funny cause everyone we meet or see us on the streets assume that Ana and I are together, when in fact we're not. But we sometimes play along and toy with people's minds.

For a short video clip click HERE







my Carps vs. Giants baseball game ticket

Then we went to this little cafe called "New York New York". I felt very hip and cultured... lol... kinda like Jane
Bond back in Waterloo. Then we agreed to meet up the Mexicans from the baseball game to go dancing at a night club called 'El Barco'. It was great getting a chance to dance the night away.


Ana and I lookin pimpin ready to go out partying


Me at New York New York cafe


Ana at the New York New York cafe

DAY TWO: Saturday, April 30, 2005

So this morning I went to the Memorial Peace Museum. Ana couldnt wake up and considering she's been there before, I just went on my own. The museums showed artefacts, videos, pictures, and American documents from the historic event. From a watch stopped exactly at 8:45 am (the exact time the bomb hit Hiroshima) to charred fingernails, to hundreds of post-war letters from past and present mayors of Hiroshima asking leaders of countries to stop their nuclear development program, a, like the A-dome did, sent a wave of emotions through my body. Just picturing the horror and devestation that people must have gone through. Familes wiped away and an entire city turned into ashes all because of war. A journalist named Yoshito Matsushige arrived in Hiroshima a day after the the bomb hit. He was only able to take 5 photos as he couldnt control his emotions to what he is witnessing. His little video documentary was aesthetically titled "Viewfinder clouded with Tears". After the museum I met up with Ana and walked around the peace park with the amazing sculptures and memorials.


Me in front of the Atomic bomb memorial. Enscripted "Let all soulds here rest in peace. For we shall not repeat this evil"



Children's peace memorial w/ strings of paper cranes inside the behind display cases


Atomic bomb victims memorial

After the park we decided to walk to Hiroshima castle. It took us FOREVER to get there and knowing that castles have moats, we decided to walk to the end of the castle where the entrance WASNT located. So we had to walk ALL the way around and back to the main entrance. The interior of the castle was ALL modern, there was absolutely NOTHING special about it. Altough there was this display case with this sculpture that looked like a giant golden penis. So for the rest of the week Ana and I had this joke that we walked all the way to Hiroshima castle and paid 360 yen admission to see a giant penis. We decided it's going to be our new god that we're gonna start praying to.


The infamous "questionable" statue


Hiroshima castle entrance



In front of the moat of Hiroshima castle

We proceeded to return to our hotel and there we decided that we're gonna go bar hopping. First we went to an Irish bar called "Molly Malone's" which looked EXACTLY like Paddy Flaherty's in Waterloo. There we watched a baseball game, again between the Carps and the Giants, but this time the Carps won. we met tons of people at the bar, drank Guiness, Asahi, and Kiren till like 11. Then we decided to go check out this little bar named "Feedback". The underground bar was TINY. Considering that there is a US marine base in Hiroshima, 5 of the 10 people that were in the bar were US marines. We didnt stay there for long and then we proceeded to his little bar called "MAC". It was this little bar that played ALLL types of music. I immediately thought of Megan when we walked in. She would
HAVE LOVED this bar. And EVERYONE who was Molly Malone's earlier that night was there. We found a pack of people from Ireland and we danced the night away till 4:30 in the morning. They played ALL sorts of music from Bon Jovi to Green Day to Salsa music to Golden Oldies to Irish music to Great Big Sea (CANADA BABY!!!). This dude from Ireland named Kyren (or at least that what I remember it is), who was travelling around the world, taught me the simple steps to the Irish jig. We had a BLAST.


Ana at "Molly Malone's" Irish Pub


Me at the tiny "Feedback" basement bar


Everyone dancing at "MAC" until 4:30 am

DAY THREE: Sunday, May 1, 2005

We got up in the morning and realized it was raining. we were planning on going to the island of Miyajima today, but we decided instead stay in town and do some shopping and relax. Ana couldnt get up so I decided to take the monorail/subway to see the "Fudoin Temple" a national treasure of Japan in the more rural parts of Hiroshima. The one main thing I noticed when I entered the subway station is that passengers that are waiting arent exposed to the railway tracks. This precaution will prevent incidents with crazy nut jobs pushing people onto tracks when an incoming train is approaching.

Japanese subway/monorail station

When I arrived it was
drizzling so nobody was there. It was peaceful and GOREGEOUS. There wasnt much to see. So after a few photos and moments of reflection in the peacful surroundings, I went back to busy city Hiroshima.




Fudoin Temple: National Treasure of Japan



So we went to the lunch to eat "okonomiyake" which is a delicacy here in Hiroshima. The foood was SUUUUPPPER delicious. Supposedly Stone Cold Steve Austin ate at the same restaurant. lol.. we were mucho filled by the time we left.


Me enjoying my okonomiyake


Ana enjoying her okonomiyake



Then we decided to go shopping at Hondori for a few hours. Considering I was on a budget, I couldnt afford most
things in the mall, but I did manage to buy these two AWESOME t-shirts for approx 7 bucks (approx 500 yen) each and Ana bought a whole bunch of other stuff.


Shopping at the Hondori shopping strip



Anyhoo then we met up with the Irish group we met last night at MAC and Molly's and we all ate dinner at this amazing Thai restaurant. We found out that a whole bunch of them are English teachers here in Japan and supposedly that guy that taught me how to do the Irish jig was born in Hong Kong... it blew me away. Then we all went back to Molly Malone's had a couple of beers and we went back to the hotel and passed out.


DAY FOUR: Monday, May 2, 2005



Miyajima

Today was gorgeous and the sun was shining like crazy. So we headed over to Miyajima Island. Miyajima has aught to be the MOST gorgeous and spiritual place I have ever been in my entire life. Miyajima is world famous for one of its arch like momuments that stands in the middle of the water. There were hidden temples and tiny ponds and waterfalls all over the place. And there were TONS of deer just wandering around. I cant even describe this place in words. You have to look at the pictures to see for yourself. Mind you ALL these pictures were taken by either Ana or myself not professionals. We spent ALL day there and we stayed to watch the sunset. IT WAS SUPER GORGEOUS.







Washing my hands in a temple fountain






Shrine in honour of an ancient warrior




view from inside a temple



gorgeous sunset



striking a pose

When we left Miyajima and waiting to take the ferry back, we met a bunch of Canadians and Americans who, like EVERY OTHER foreigner we've met in Hiroshima, teach English. On the ferry and on the train back to mainland Hiroshima We talked about how much we miss Tim Horton's Coffee and our favourite parts back at home. So then they invited us to go to dinner and have some sake in a little restaurant/bar in Hondori where everyone sits on tatami mats. We had a blast and the warm japanese Sake worked on my body pretty fast. I had about 10 shots and I was a little tipsy by the end of it. Then a bunch of us went to another little bar near our hotel named "Opium" and we then proceeded to drink more. Ana went back to the Canadians' apartment to party more but I was WAY to tired and I went back to the hotel and passed out.




The boys and the girls we met on the ferry back from Miyajima at the tatami mat sitting restaurant drunk on Japanese sake


Me and the western boys at "Opium"

DAY FIVE: Tuesday, May 3, 2005

We planned out this trip PERFECTLY as the "Hiroshima Flower Festival" started on the 3rd. I woke up early and I walked along the streets PACKED with people and PACKED with little food stands with ABSOLUTELY DECLIOUS FOOD. Eggo-marie and Linda (I consider them my food buddies back in Waterloo) would have LOVED this festival. I was wearing a Tokyo Giants jersey (rival to the Hiroshima Carps) and during the parade when the CARPS float went by a bunch of people started pointing at me. I was so embarrassed. I was wearing a rival t-shirt during one of the most patriotic days in Hiroshima. But I'm sure they could tell I was a foreigner so they'd understand. The funny thing was that a Japanese reporter wanted to interview me during the parade, but they soon found out my horrible Japanese and their horrible English and moved on to someone who they can actually have a conversation with. The festival goes on for 3 days until the 5th I found that in the past few days in Hiroshima, a bunch of local people think I'm Japanese. I find it so funny. I actually blend it. hahahahaha.


At the Hiroshima Flower Festival


The Hiroshima Carps at the parade giving me bad looks cause of my Giants jersey






Ocotopus = festival yummy food


Salted fish on a stick = another festival yummy food


I had this for lunch.. dont know what it is.. but it looked good... and tasted good

So anyways after spending some time at the festival we met up with some of the

Canadians we met last night and went to Molly Malone's and spent the entire night there just chatting and drinking beer and eating fish and chips. By this time, it was our third time at Molly's and everyone including the staff recognized us... It was soo much fun.... too bad tomorrow is our last day


DAY SIX: Wendesday, May 4, 2005

I dont believe this our last day here in Hiroshima. Well my last day at least. Ana's planning on staying one more day but I dont have much money left so I decided to head back to Tottori. I miss "home" as in Tottori. I dont believe Im saying this, but I miss the quietness and the "low cost of living". hahahahaha. It sucks to be on a student budget. Anyhoo.. So we woke up, checked out and we headed out for the Hiroshima Museum of Contemporary Art. The things in the museum BLEW my mind. I absolutely love contemporary art cause artists can go as crazy or as simple as they want to and one can still analyze it for hours. For example they had this ladder in the middle of a white
room and an exibit of just simply "chairs".



Hiroshima museum of contemporary art

Anyways after the contemporary art gallery it was about 2:30. Ana and I had lunch
and I went to buy my bus ticket back to Tottori. She wanted to meet up with the Canadians again but this time in
town 30 hr away from Hiroshima. I had to catch the bus at 5:45 so I couldnt go so we departed ways. Since I had a few hours to kill I decided to go check out the Shukeien Gardens. I was sooo tired so I decided to take the street car instead of walk. Again, like all the gardens and temples here in Japan, was abosultely gorgeous and serene. I wished I had come here ealier to relax instead of walking around with my heavy backpacks and madly taking pictures.




Streetcar


Shukeien Garden








Picture of a bird you only can see in Japan

Overall it was phenominal trip. I couldn't have thought of a better city to go to during Golden Week. It was not too
busy and not too quiet. We randomly met tons of people and started new friendshops. This trip had just the right amount of perfection.


Dont ask

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home