Wednesday, October 19, 2005

EARTHQUAKE!!!

So I was just working at my desk diligently when all of a suddent the room started shaking. I was like holy shit. Its an EARTHQUAKE!!!! I ve always joked with people ever since I arrived here in Japan that I want to experience at least one earthquake before I leave. And that wish came true. It was like a Disneyland ride. It was nuts. The hanging lamp in my room started swaying back and forth back and forth. While it was happening, I had to message someone on MSN and Emily Johnston and Laura from my class happened to be online so I was chatting with them about it.

I'm very impressed with Japanese infrastructure cause the power didnt go out, the internet didnt go out and the phone lines were all working perfectly. I guess they experience them enough here that its kinda like a snow blizzard is to us.

Even though it wasn't a heavy one, I was quite shaken up afterwards. Like having the entire building shake back and forth on you is quite frightening, especially if you havent experienced before. I grew up in Toronto, where NOTHING happens other than snow storms.

I checked online earthquake reports afterwards and it was a
6.4 magnitude at the hypocenter near the coast of Honshu, Japan. And we felt the earthquake here in the greater Tokyo area at a magnitude of 3. A 3 was already that crazy, I could only imagine what a 6.4 feels like since the severity grows exponentially as the magnitude increases.

I have attached a picture of the earthquake report below

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home