Sunday, November 20, 2005

Hokusai exibition

Today, my friend Chris and I went to the Tokyo National Museum for Hokusai exibition.

Hokusai
(1760 - 1849) is Japan's most famous and most well known artist. He lived during the Tokugawa period (1600 to 1867) in a Japan of traditional Confucian values and feudal regimentation. His most famous work, which Im sure everybody has seen before some time or other, is the "Great Wave".


They had shipped from famous museums from all over the world, orginal works of Hokusai. The exibition was spectacular. Though I pictured the original paintings to be much larger than they turned out to be. But Hokusai's artwork had soo much detail and was so elegant, that it blew me away.

I wasn't allowed to take any pictures. So I bought some postcards and I took pictures of them.. hee hee.

"The Great Wave off the Coast of Kanagawa". Hokusai's most famous painting

"A Mild Breeze on a Fine Day ". Another famous Hokusai painting
"Dish Ghost (Sara Yashiki) "
"Beauty Being Inebriated"

Afterwards, I visited the Tokyo National Science Museum. They had a special exibition called Pearls - A Natural History, which was partly organized by the world famous Mikimoto company that produces pearl jewelery. It discussed the different types of pearls, and how pearls are formed, and displayed famous examples of pearls from all over the world. From the hat of the King of Nepal to Marylin Monroe's necklace. The one that stood out to me was the Miss Universe tiara.

Miss Universe tiara

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home